As a multi-disciplined digital media company Turkey Red Media are always asked “what is the best way to market your product or services”, our answer is always through video. Although you can’t ignore other digital media objects, video both traditional and 360 video delivers the best return on investment and offers the greatest reach.
Video content marketing is one of the most powerful ways to market a product or service. Videos have been proven to capture consumer’s attention longer than both text or image. In fact, 88% of online marketers use video content. It is a fact that if you’re not using videos for your social media marketing campaign, your competitors will be.
In the past large budgets were used to create a smaller number of promotional videos each year by companies. Today you need a lot more shorter videos, that are optimised for the various social media platforms. A large digital infrastructure
Why Use Videos in Marketing?
Videos are an easy and effective way to tell a story. Other than live demos, videos are the most effective way to showcase your brand or tell your story.
The statistics speak for themselves;
- Social video generates 1,200% more shares than text and images combined 57% of people watch online videos every day.
- 98% of users say they have watched an online “explainer” video to learn more about a product or service.
- 5 times as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it.
- Video encourages social shares. In fact, 78% of users say they would share a branded video with their friends if it was entertaining.
How Popular Are Videos on YouTube?
Online video has literally exploded during the last 5 years, with YouTube reporting that mobile video increases by 100% every year. Every minute, 400 hours of video are uploaded to the site. Within another year, video will account for 75% of all Internet traffic, according to recent studies. Here are some more hard facts about videos on YouTube:
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- Almost 6 billion videos are watched on YouTube every single day.
- YouTube gets over 40 million visitors per day.
- The average viewing session lasts more than 45 minutes. This is up more than 50% year over year.
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms compared to live television
Why Should My Organisation Use Social Media?
It is hard to ignore social media these days, both as a consumer, but also as a company. The four major consumer social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat) are free and easy to use. Social media is great for developing a loyal community of followers. Simply being able to respond to consumers within seconds shows that your company is serious about its customer service efforts.
From an analytical perspective, social media increases digital exposure, boosts traffic and SEO rating, expands sales, reaches new audiences, and can ultimately cut marketing costs.
Is It True That Managers Prefer Text Over Videos?
59% of managers agree that if both text and video are available on the same topic, they are more likely to choose video. In fact, 75% of executives watch work-related videos on business websites at least once a week.
What Social Media Platforms are the most Popular?
- Twitter: 82% of Twitter’s audience watches video content
- YouTube: More than 6 billion video views are watched each day
- Facebook: Around 600 million people watch Facebook videos every day
- Instagram: 80% of users follow a business on Instagram
- Snapchat: Generates 10 billion video views every single day
How Long Can Videos Be on Social Media?
|Platform||Maximum Length of video|
|140 seconds long|
|YouTube||12 hours (must be under 128GB)|
|60 seconds long|
|Snapchat||60 seconds (6 consecutive 10 seconds snaps at once)|
This really depends on what social media platform you are using. For example, Instagram is going to have stricter length restricts compared to YouTube based on the design of the platform. There’s a reason that Instagram and other social media platforms only allow 60 second videos. According to case studies two-thirds of consumers prefer videos under 60 seconds.
What Social Media Platform should you use?
Twitter feeds have the fastest scroll rate, which is why brands need to focus on creating eye-catching content. Brands can use Twitter to upload teaser, announcement, advertisement, promotional, education, and user-based content.
Since viewers prefer Twitter to gather information, brands should focus on branding while sharing a video content on Twitter rather than promotion.
Around 90% of videos are watched on mobile phones, this means it is important to optimize your videos to be view able all viewing devices.
- Perfect for brands that want to get more engagement with their customers
- More suited to business to business
- Google own YouTube, as such videos on YouTube will have a higher organic search rank compared to any other type of type of video.
- There are options to include links on the video directly and /or including links in the bio.
- There are options to include in-video surveys, where you can collect data
- YouTube now supports live video streaming and events
Last time you watch a video on Facebook, did you have the sound on? In fact, 85% of Facebook video is watched without sound. This is important to know when making videos specifically for Facebook.
- Great for building awareness through videos
- The more people share your post, the more it will show up on user’s timeline
- Videos are an exceptional forum for engaging directly with the audience
- There is always a chance that your video will go viral
- Facebook now supports live video streaming and events
- Just because your video goes viral, that doesn’t mean that it’s a good thing. If you post a controversial video and everyone dislikes it, your brand image could suffer. It takes years to win a customer, but it only seconds to lose one.
- Overall younger demographic, perfect for attracting millennials
- Owned by Facebook, so the paid ad structure is pretty much the same
- Posts on Facebook can be linked and boosted at the same time to Instagram
- This is a great way to show that your brand is run by humans and not robots
- Overall younger demographic, perfect for attracting millennials
- Snapchat gives brands a great opportunity to show the behind the senses of a company
- There currently no hashtags to help new people find your brand
- Hard to track success of your Snapchat campaign
- Primarily a business networking tool
- Since they are in a professional environment, people are on their best behaviour and are much less likely to start a confrontation or be negative towards a post.
- LinkedIn wall updates display much longer than any other major social platforms, meaning you will see likes, shares and comments on posts for weeks after you post. This allows businesses to keep a thread going if there is engagement.
- You won’t be able to reach younger audiences that haven’t started a career or are not looking to professionally network
- LinkedIn advertising is still expensive and not as dialled in compared to other platforms that have been tweaking their process for several years
Next time you need consider running a social media marketing campaign, make sure to use video as much as you possible can, just remember to make sure the video is:
- Interesting, entertaining, and / or has emotional appeal
- Works on both mobile, tablet and desktop
- Complements with your company’s marketing plan
- Around 60 seconds in length max
Turkey Red Media is a multi-disciplined media company based in Scotland’s central belt. We provide a variety of services including video for TV & Cinema, Corporate, Online Streaming & Web. We are UK CAA licenced drone operators as well as Google approved photographers. We provide a variety of content to support online digital marketing, offering a full digital marketing service from campaign design, online marketing & promotion to analysis and reporting on the success of social media campaigns.